This weeks blog about about food because everyone loves food! But more so about how climate change effects some of the foods we eat.
In the article "Climate Change Will Probably Ruin These 9 Delicious Foods by 2050, So Brace Yourself" published on The Huffington Post. It discusses and lists nine foods that might change by 2050 purely because of climate change.The list consists of coffee, peanut butter, inexpensive chocolate, and some other very valued foods. Also explaining what could happen to the food and how the food will react to the climate change this article points out many interesting possibilities.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/05/climate-change-foods_n_4892164.html
With finding this article, I find myself questioning whether or not this is a reliable source and is the information I'm getting trustworthy. Being published on The Huffington Post is a pretty big deal, if I may say so, so I would think that Ms. Sara Boboltz, who is the author of this article, would do lots of research on her topic. I found that she did indeed! At the bottom of the article there is many other links to other web newspaper and some are well known science magazines and newspapers.
Also The Huffington Post is run by a large staff that thoroughly edits their articles, but there is a bit of opinion in their articles (just as the title of their link says) "Breaking News and Opinion" is clearly stated from the beginning. With that being said I do know that they do do their research, but there is opinion thrown into the articles so they aren't as credible as newspapers like "The New York Times".
Unfortunately, I could not find The Huffington Post's mission statement anywhere on the internet or the website. I believe that they are trying to deliver news with some opinion.
The specific claim made in this article is that the listed foods are going to harder to come by in 2050 due to climate change and irregular weather patterns. There is a lot of evidence to support some of the foods like coffee. The author does more or found more evidence for some foods but not for all of them.
This article makes me a little sad because I love peanut butter and apple pie and fish, but I am a very hopefully person and always looks for the best in dim thing or situations.
No comments:
Post a Comment